Student Visas

Student visa to Australia is offered to eligible candidates for allowing them to undertake graduate, post graduate, doctoral, professional, vocational, and even school level study programs.

There is one student visa (subclass 500) available to you for every type of qualification you are seeking:


ELICOS -English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students

For stand-alone English language courses.

Schools Sector for primary or secondary school courses

For Primary school; secondary school including junior and senior secondary; approved secondary exchange programs

VET – Vocational education and training

For AQF Certificates I, II, III or IV diploma, advanced diploma and other vocational related diplomas

Higher education

For a Bachelor degree (and some other degree options such as associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, or Masters by coursework)

Postgraduate research

For a Masters by research or a doctoral degree

Non-award Sector

For non-award foundation studies, or other full-time courses that do not lead to an Australian qualification.


Applicants for eligibility for any of these visa subclasses must pursue a course listed in CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students). Candidates also must adhere to health, character, and financial pre-conditions. Proficiency in English language is mandatory.

Student visas are processed based on CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) documentation submitted by your education provider. In order to be issued a student visa you must obtain the OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) for an entire program of you studies.

Family Members

A candidate applying for a student visa might apply for secondary visas for their partners and dependent children below 18 years of age. A parent willing to accompany a student needs to apply for a ‘student guardian’ visa.

Ability to Work

Student visa enables a learner to take up a job or employment for a period of forty hours a fortnight while in session, and for unlimited hours during session breaks. Secondary visa holders are eligible to work only for forty hours per fortnight. Research students are eligible to work unlimited hours on commencement of their Masters or Doctoral (PhD) courses. Additionally secondary visa holders accompanying research scholars are allowed to work for unlimited hours.


Candidates applying for a student visa need to go through different levels of assessment depending on their citizenship. There are five assessment levels graded 1 to 5 with 1 being the least stringent and 5 the most. For higher levels of assessment a candidate is required to submit more supporting documents.

Financial Obligations

Applicants need to be aware of cost involved for undergoing an academic or professional study program in Australia. Before applying for a student visa Australia, it is crucial to estimate the financial liabilities of a study program. Visa issuing authorities must be satisfied about your financial stability and ability to cover your educational costs.

GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) Requirement

To comply with GTE requirement an applicant has to indicate his/her intention of immigration to Australia. Factors considered under this assessment are:

  • Immigration history of applicant
  • Potential circumstances of applicant after moving to Australia
  • Existing environment in applicant’s country of origin
  • Significance of study program undertaken for applicant
  • Any other relevant factors that might influence your Australian immigration